MMSM Packaging Technology for High-Speed Hermetic Flip-Chip Components
Microsemi's Monolithic Microwave Surface Mount, or MMSM™ is a patented (US Patent No. 6,187,611) packaging technology employed to create high-speed hermetic flip-chip components. It eliminates ceramic and metal packages commonly used for components operating at frequencies up to 12GHz, or X band. Before MMSM, manufacturers of fixed microwave had no choice beyond ceramic or metal hermetic packages for these frequencies, because parasitic limitations prevent the use of plastics.
The MMSM process uses metallization and etching techniques to create semiconductor devices packaged during the fabrication of the wafer itself. Interconnections are made by precise photolithographic methods that eliminate wire bonding, another source of parasitic problems.
Microsemi MMSM Products
- PIN Diode Switch Elements, including multiple PIN Diodes in a complete SP2T RF switch
- PIN Diodes used in switching antennas
- Varactor Diodes for voltage controlled oscillators (VCOs)
- RF PIN Limiter Diodes for power amplifier protection
Ready to learn more? Contact your local Microsemi sales office today to find the right MMSM technologies and products for your design needs.
- Microwave Discretes Package Comparison
- "A Guide to Microwave Diode Package Styles and Their Performance": K. R. Philpot (Microsemi), High Frequency Electronics, February 2005
- "Microsemi puts broadband high-frequency diodes in smallest packages yet": EE Times, January 18, 2000